Wednesday 28 September 2011

Storage IO Control and funny licensing issue

Today I have been finalizing the new vSphere installation. Basically, I have already migrated all VMs from old infrastructure to newly built one and was doing kind of fine tuning, which includes setting up monitoring, logging, etc. 
One of the task was reviewing what I still remember about SIOC and whether there are any objections of enabling it on new vSphere.  After reading couple of useful VMware docs (1, 2) and checking performance stats in vCenter I thouhgt it might be useful to have it enabled. 

However, when I tried to enable SIOC on the first storage I faced the following error "The vSphere Enterprise Plus License for host esxi.company.local does not include SIOC. Please update your license." I was really confused. This error didn't make any sense.

I checked Licensed Features of all hosts in the new vSphere Cluster - all of them had Storage IO Control listed as one of the allowed product feature. After 30 minutes of checking all possible settings I found out that old cluster still had all these VMFS datastores presented to it and for some reason another vSphere admin added test ESXi host into the old cluster. Since there were no available Enterprise Plus license available that guy used Enterpruse license, which obviously doesn't cover SIOC. 

The fix was quick and easy - unpresented VMFS LUNs off this test host and rescanned the storage configuration.

If you find this post useful please share it with any of the buttons below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment