Thursday 21 April 2016

Migration from Windows vCenter 5.5 to vCenter Server Appliance 6.2 - Part 3 - Upgrade ESXi hosts with ESXCLI

My servers have ILO , but that's not working good as it is based on Java - all kinds of problems with java in browsers, especially on Mac. So I usually avoid using it even though I pretty often used it before to mount ISO on servers over the network for ESXi installation and upgrade.

Given my issues with ILO I opted for an easier upgrade option - using powerful esxcli command

1. Upload image to the datastore


2. Check the profiles list in your depot file




3. You can check the each profile's details


That will show you the VIBs it includes and even the corresponding KB



4. Once you choose required profile just run the following command




As you can see the host was upgraded successfully, but it has to be restarted.

No comments:

Post a Comment